Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tick Removal & Insect Bites

taken from Bing Images

Since we talked earlier this week about Lyme's Disease, I thought this would be a good time to give you some guidelines that come in our Emergency Care handout from the Wisconsin Veterinary Referral Center.

Like people, animals vary in their reactions to insect venom.  The response can range from mild irritation to allergic shock.  Check the area for any remaining stinger or insect, remove them and cleanse the area with soap and water.  Cool wet towels or gauze can be used (for 20-30 minutes) to soothe the area.  Watch your pet for signs of allergic reaction.  Be particularly mindful of difficulties breathing.

When returning from a park or a hike, check thoroughly for ticks by running your fingers through your pet's entire coat, and inspecting paws, pads, between toes and inside floppy ears.  If you find a tick, place a small amount of tick spray (alcohol, mineral oil, or petroleum jelly can also be used) on a cotton ball and hold it over the tick.  Typically the tick will back out in 30-60 seconds allowing you to grab it with a tweezers and dispose of it.  Apply alcohol or an antibiotic ointment to the site of the bite.

No comments: